|Release candidate(s):||r3302 - test results|
r3317 - test results
- fixes compilation for recently released kernel 2.6.24
- introduces Minstrel rate control algorithm
- introduces switch to turn ANI (Ambience Noise Immunity) off, which can help to improve performance (see also #705)
- several bug fixes to improve stability
- now defaults to radiotap headers in monitor mode
- adds support for variable number of VAPs, tunable via module parameter
- Hostapd + RSN broken
- Need sysfs attribute for 'adminstratively created' interfaces
- Standardise Radiotap FCS Handling
- Minstrel rate control module
- [patch] make madwifi compile with 2.6.22-rc1
- Kernel panic with maxvaps > 32
- Madwifi kernel panic under Fedora 18.104.22.168-34.fc8 kernel
- Various mode changing and scanning related annoyances (#572, #254, #352)
- Suspend state not working properly (#201)
- Countrycode regression in recent HAL versions (#120)
- Stability problems when more than one VAP is in active use (#182, many other tickets)
- Documentation about private ioctl's and other features not 100% complete (#324, #486, #527, #399)
- No AR5007 support in this release; experimental support is available for i386 (32bit) in #1679
- No AR5008 support in this release; support is available in trunk
- Possible quirks with maxvaps > 32
MadWifi v0.9.4 is available for download now.
This release fixes compilation for the recently released kernel 2.6.24. At the same time, several bugs were fixed to improve the stability of the driver.
There are also some new features, such as:
- Introduction of the Minstrel rate control algorithm, which has been available in trunk for some time now. Details about how this rate control works are provided in ath_rate/minstrel/minstrel.txt. Thanks to Indranet Technologies Ltd., who have sponsored the development of Minstrel.
- Maximum number of supported VAPs is now tunable with the new module parameter "maxvaps". Changing the limit no longer requires to recompile the driver. Up to 64 VAPs can be used; however, there might be quirks when using more than 32 VAPs, which will get fixed soon.
- Ambient Noise Immunity can now be turned off at runtime; this reportedly helps to improve the sensitity and performance of MadWifi-driven cards in some environments, but it might have a negative impact on the performance in other cases. See ticket #705 for details.
Please note that this release is not based on trunk. We have decided to make a release based on v0.9.3.3 with backported changes from trunk instead. Trunk needs a bit more work to get stabilized, while release of kernel 2.6.24 demanded for a new MadWifi release.
This also means that v0.9.4 still has no support for AR5007 (EeePC) and AR5008 (MacBook) chipsets. An experimental patch that adds AR5007 support at least for i386 (32bit) is attached to ticket #1679, while legacy AR5008 support for all platforms that MadWifi runs on is available in trunk.
We hope you enjoy the new version. As always, your feedback is highly welcome.
-- The madwifi.org team