Milestones and Release Targets
This page exists to clarify and decide upon the proposed release targets and milestones in preparation for a 1.0 release.
Currently, a small set of milestones are defined in the MadWifi Trac system. These milestones have been the subject of discussion in recent times, and it is clear that we should collectively review the release process and decide upon some more granular and specific targets than what currently exists. The main goal of this process is to make a first release ASAP, and reprioritize and define all of the required steps to achieve a version 1.0 release.
To make this possible we need to:
- Reclassify the milestones
- Retag existing trac reports in accordance with the revised milestones
- Make provision to tag and release the code to the public
Proposed Release Model
We should make frequent minor releases (0.9.XX) focusing on adding more features, backporting features from madwifi-old and fixing major bugs. These releases should generate interest from the users of madwifi (ie, new features, major bugs fixed), resulting in more bug reports and contributed patches. They should also set a baseline for the next minor release. When we have a sufficient amount of features existing in trunk, and our milestones near completion, focus should turn to resolving all outstanding bugs possible in preparation for a 1.0 release; a feature freeze.
- New codebase compiles and core features are stable for the majority of users.
- Is in a similar stable state as madwifi-old
- Milestones for future releases are clear, and existing trac tickets have been changed to suit.
- We have a release mechanism: Makefile target, Release downloads section etc.
- Deprecate MadWifi-Old.
- sta/managed mode works completely
- ap/master mode operates completely
- monitor mode working with at least all the features of the madwifi-old equivalent
- work on porting madwifi-old features
- multi-bssid (station + ap + monitor) mode
- ad-hoc and wds mode that works
- a highly-tuned scanning algorithm
- reduce instabilities
- speed improvements
- Feature complete (for features defined for the preceding 0.9 series).
- Very stable
- new monitor mode features
- wishlist items, enhancements and new features
- new devices (ahb hal, mimo, etc)