Please note: This project is no longer active. The website is kept online for historic purposes only.
If you´re looking for a Linux driver for your Atheros WLAN device, you should continue here .

Ticket #2225 (new defect)

Opened 13 years ago

Last modified 13 years ago

madwifi on WG311T only operates when set to 802.11b mode

Reported by: rjwilmsi_madwifi@trashmail.net Assigned to:
Priority: minor Milestone:
Component: madwifi: other Version: v0.9.4
Keywords: Cc:
Patch is attached: 0 Pending: 0

Description (Last modified by mrenzmann)

Upgraded from opensuse 10.3 64-bit to 11.1 64-bit. In both cases kernel is as delivered, I used the madwifi packages from madwifi.org/suse/. (FYI, I tried the ath5k driver but it didn't find my network at all)

I installed the RPM packages as normal and iwlist ath0 scan showed my WEP-encrypted network. I configured the card in YAST to enter my ESSID and 128 bit hex key. On restart of network I had high packet loss and high ping times when pinging my router. Typical was up to 80% packet loss and some ping times over 10,000 ms and lots of timeouts.

I found that the solution to this was to restrict the card to 802.11b speed by doing 'iwpriv ath0 mode 2'. However, on 10.3 with the madwifi packages from madwifi.org/suse/10.3 I never had to do this. This improved the result to:

50 packets transmitted, 48 received, 4% packet loss, time 49257ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 3.536/63.800/609.739/130.083 ms

For comparison my Samsung Q45 laptop on the same desk as the PC has the same YAST config for its Intel wireless card, connects at 40Mb/s or more and can ping the router with 0% packet loss like this:

50 packets transmitted, 50 received, 0% packet loss, time 49212ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.789/3.957/76.822/10.867 ms

Also, on Windows XP the WG311T has continued to work as before i.e. no packet loss.

I submit this bug as some regression in the madwifi packages that has forced me to restrict the connection to 802.11b when I didn't have to on 10.3.

Outputs:

lspci | grep Atheros
01:02.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Atheros AR5001X+
Wireless Network Adapter (rev01)

uname -r
2.6.27.7-9-default

rpm -qa | grep madwifi
madwifi-kmp-default-0.9.4_2.6.27.7_9.1-1
madwifi-0.9.4-1

lsmod | grep ath
ath_rate_sample        13768  1
ath_pci               260056  0
wlan                  240752  5 wlan_wep,wlan_scan_sta,ath_rate_sample,ath_pci
ath_hal               276352  3 ath_rate_sample,ath_pci

iwconfig ath0
ath0      IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"Yoshitoshi"  Nickname:"linux-6wie"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: 00:18:XX:XX:XX:XX
          Bit Rate:1 Mb/s   Tx-Power:18 dBm   Sensitivity=1/1
          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:1500-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XX   Security mode:open
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=30/70  Signal level=-68 dBm  Noise level=-98 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:941  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

ifconfig ath0
ath0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
          inet addr:192.168.1.65  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:808268 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:377827 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:585364726 (558.2 Mb)  TX bytes:78799159 (75.1 Mb)

[I have replaced my network key/AP/MAC with Xs.]

Change History

01/16/09 06:24:51 changed by mrenzmann

  • description changed.