Please note: This project is no longer active. The website is kept online for historic purposes only.
If you´re looking for a Linux driver for your Atheros WLAN device, you should continue here .

Ticket #1968 (new defect)

Opened 14 years ago

Last modified 13 years ago

MacBook pro and/or SMP related brokeness

Reported by: helminthe@gmail.com Assigned to:
Priority: critical Milestone:
Component: madwifi: other Version: trunk
Keywords: Cc:
Patch is attached: 0 Pending:

Description

The last stable version (0.9.4) doesn't work at all on my Mac, so I'm using the SVN version(s). One month ago it was running with the sole exception of power management, yesterday I upgraded and now the interface de-associates after a very short period (100 packets, maximum 10 Mbytes), restarts scanning, works again for a few seconds, etc. I couldn't figure which version exactly is the problem, so I just started splitting in half commit intervals until version 3637 appeared to work. Traffic drops after equal intervals (20 seconds) with this version, but comes back again to the normal 2,5 Mbytes/s after a second.

Change History

06/03/08 21:50:24 changed by helminthe@gmail.com

Note: traffic is stable and I get no disconnects when booting the kernel with "nosmp"

06/16/08 16:50:45 changed by Garret.Kelly@gmail.com

I can confirm that I'm also experiencing problems with the AR5418 at r3719 on an SMP 64-bit MacBook Pro. The card has trouble associating with my D-Link router using wep128, and when the connection finally does establish, is only good for at most a couple of hours before dropping out. After this, the card nearly refuses to associate with the AP. Higher traffic rates cause the problem to appear earlier. I have not tried booting with nosmp.

06/19/08 04:06:09 changed by mentor

  • summary changed from SVN version broken on MacBook pro to MacBook pro and/or SMP related brokeness.

07/01/08 14:25:28 changed by george.stewart@velocitynet.com.au

I get the same behavior using r3747 with the AR5418 on my macbook pro core 2 1st generation.

When running a uniprocessor kernel (kernel option nosmp) network performance is stable and reliable.

When using a multiprocessor kernel the connection drops frequently and sometimes refuses to reconnect. Large transfers of data make this happen more frequently. I've seen the same symptoms using both WEP and WPA encryption.

My access point is a D-Link DIR-615.

07/31/08 21:22:41 changed by jano

since some days i have exactly the same problem on my macbook pro running madwifi from svn.

07/31/08 22:12:30 changed by jano

by the way the connection to the router is still there but i have no connection to the internet (and no IP)

from the user.log:

Jul 31 22:10:39 simbox dhcdbd: message_handler: message handler not found under /com/redhat/dhcp/ath0 for sub-path ath0.dbus.get.host_name
Jul 31 22:10:39 simbox dhcdbd: message_handler: message handler not found under /com/redhat/dhcp/ath0 for sub-path ath0.dbus.get.domain_name
Jul 31 22:10:39 simbox dhcdbd: message_handler: message handler not found under /com/redhat/dhcp/ath0 for sub-path ath0.dbus.get.nis_domain
Jul 31 22:10:39 simbox dhcdbd: message_handler: message handler not found under /com/redhat/dhcp/ath0 for sub-path ath0.dbus.get.nis_servers
Jul 31 22:10:39 simbox dhcdbd: message_handler: message handler not found under /com/redhat/dhcp/ath0 for sub-path ath0.dbus.get.interface_mtu

08/03/08 21:44:51 changed by jano

setting the router from '802.11g and 802.11n' to '11g only' solved the problem

08/06/08 00:33:14 changed by helminthe@gmail.com

For anyone else who has this exact problem, you can use ndiswrapper, but out of dozens of windows drivers I tried, only one works - the one supplied by Apple in the bootcamp drivers archive i.e. atherosxpinstall.exe - unpack it using unrar.

08/07/08 10:06:50 changed by anonymous

i have the same problem and setting to 11g only does not help, my macbook pro reconnects every 5 min....

10/12/08 15:06:14 changed by Jacob

i'm having the same issue on my macbook(ar5418). I tried nosmp but i think that also disables acpi, which made the system unusable. maxcpus=1 seems to be doing the job though. I'm running latest debian lenny.

02/28/09 20:03:54 changed by steveybaby2

I have the same issue on Gentoo 2.6.27-r8 (and 2.6.28) with system lockups, ranging from 1 hour after boot to 30 seconds after boot. I tried adding 'append="maxcpus="1"' to my lilo.conf and it has been stable for 10 hours up to now and going strong. Seems to confirm the SMP diagnosis.

I have a DLink DWA-547 / AR5414 chipset.