Please note: This project is no longer active. The website is kept online for historic purposes only.
If you´re looking for a Linux driver for your Atheros WLAN device, you should continue here .

Ticket #1825 (new defect)

Opened 14 years ago

Last modified 14 years ago

D-Link DWL-AG530 Hardware version B1 (AR5006X) won't work on MadWifi

Reported by: Bernardo Assigned to:
Priority: major Milestone:
Component: madwifi: driver Version: v0.9.4
Keywords: AG530 B1 AR5006X Cc:
Patch is attached: 0 Pending:

Description (Last modified by mrenzmann)

Hi,

I've just received 3 new AG530 adapters from D-Link with H/W Ver.:B1 (F/W Ver.:3.11).

ath_pci fails to load on both with the following message:

ath_pci: 0.9.4
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:09.0
wifi%d: unable to collect channel list from HAL: regdomain likely 19 country code 840

Since this behaviour looks a little like the old broken country code issue on some older AG530's and ar5k was handy I tried it with the old procedure.

The result was as follows:

ar5k 0xf6800000 0x10
eepron read access failed!
EEPRON read failed
Current value 0xBFFF will change to 0x0010
eepron write access failed!
EEPRON read failed
eepron read access failed!
EEPRON read failed
Write & read don't match 0x0010 != 0xBFF

I started with madwifi 0.9.3 wich was running flawlessly on this router with an older similar card and eventualy upgraded to 0.9.4 to no avail.

lspci shows:

00:09.0 Ethernet Controller: Unknown Device 168c:001b (rev 01)
   Subsystem: D-Link System Inc: Unknown device 3a22
   Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 10
   Memory at effe0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64k]
   Capabilities: [44] power Management version 2

Finally, I tested the cards on a windows machine were they were correctly recognized by the D-Link driver as an Atheros 5006X (5413?) and connected to an access point.

Can somebody please give any useful info on this issue?

Thanks,

Bernardo

Change History

03/04/08 07:19:05 changed by mrenzmann

  • description changed.

(in reply to: ↑ description ) 05/09/08 23:00:17 changed by luke.suchocki@dedicatedcomputing.com.NoSpAm

I believe you may be seeing a similar issue as we are.

The B1 rev of the board apparently changed the regdomain from 0x10 to 0x13 (19 decimal) and we were told this was in order to meet a new FCC guideline to remove certain frequencies reserved for devices capable of DFS (Dynamic Frequency Selection).

This is apparently documented in FCC-05-43A1

Unlike you, we are able to change the regulatory domain to 0x10 and the card functions as it should (using ath_info).

This, however, is not an option for us, as this device is being integrated into a device which must meet FCC regulations.

I would be interested in knowing if this is a DLink update, or an Atheros update, and whether or not Atheros will support this new regdomain within their HAL.

--Luke