Please note: This project is no longer active. The website is kept online for historic purposes only.
If you´re looking for a Linux driver for your Atheros WLAN device, you should continue here .

Ticket #1819 (closed defect: fixed)

Opened 13 years ago

Last modified 13 years ago

panic with new stable 0.9.4 and Ubiquiti SR2

Reported by: Assigned to:
Priority: major Milestone: version 0.9.5
Component: madwifi: driver Version: v0.9.4
Keywords: SR2 panic Cc:
Patch is attached: 0 Pending:



again I have to tell you that your stable versions do not work with Ubiquiti SR2 cards. A panic happens with the simplest setups. I have used my Alix board as client with wpa2 RSN encryption. After maybe 10 minutes of pinging the panic appears. Its the same thing as it was with and BUT: with the trunks between 30XX an 3279 the problem was gone. So my question is: what bug has the stable release which the trunk has not?...

My system: Alix boards (different types), kernel 2.6.24-mesh, voyage linux, 2x ubiquiti SR2, wpa_supplicant versions 0.5.9/0.6.1/0.6.3 ...I tested them all.

So do you madwifi-developer need some ubiquiti cards th fix this bugs in the stable release? If it is so, please tell me.

------------[ cut here ]------------
Kernel BUG at c0144e20 [verbose debug info unavailable]
invalid opcode: 0000 [#1] PREEMPT 
Modules linked in: wlan_ccmp wlan_scan_sta ath_pci bridge llc ipv6 dm_mod scx200_acb lm77 i2c_core natsemi ath_rate_sample snd_cs5535audio snd_ac97_codec snd_pcm snd_timer snd soundcore ac97_bus snd_page_alloc wlan cs5535_gpio ath_hal(P) ohci_hcd ehci_hcd usbcore via_rhine mii bitrev crc32

Pid: 0, comm: swapper Tainted: P        (2.6.24-mesh #1)
EIP: 0060:[<c0144e20>] EFLAGS: 00010046 CPU: 0
EIP is at kfree+0x47/0x6f
EAX: 00000000 EBX: cf905000 ECX: cf894360 EDX: c27ae0c0
ESI: 00000006 EDI: 7d7061c7 EBP: cf20d360 ESP: c0343d94
 DS: 007b ES: 007b FS: 0000 GS: 0000 SS: 0068
Process swapper (pid: 0, ti=c0342000 task=c031a320 task.ti=c0342000)
Stack: cf905000 cf20d360 cf894360 d08c66da d08b8ce0 000000fa 00000007 00000001 
       00000046 cf905000 d08efcef cf905000 cf905000 cf894ce8 d08c52af cf894360 
       d08e639f cf905000 00000000 d08c4b5c 00000505 003b0064 cf9aa05b cf9aa038 
Call Trace:
 [<d08c66da>] node_cleanup+0xe8/0x127 [wlan]
 [<d08efcef>] ath_node_cleanup+0x1a5/0x1c4 [ath_pci]
 [<d08c52af>] node_free+0xc/0x44 [wlan]
 [<d08e639f>] ath_node_free+0x26/0x2f [ath_pci]
 [<d08c4b5c>] _ieee80211_free_node+0xe5/0xed [wlan]
 [<d08c4d03>] ieee80211_free_node+0x31/0x6b [wlan]
 [<d08e787e>] ath_tx_draintxq+0xd0/0x120 [ath_pci]
 [<d08e79f5>] ath_draintxq+0x127/0x138 [ath_pci]
 [<d08ec110>] ath_recv_mgmt+0x0/0x19e [ath_pci]
 [<d08eb209>] ath_set_channel+0x138/0x44a [ath_pci]
 [<c0231f8f>] pskb_expand_head+0xe3/0x14b
 [<d08cc986>] change_channel+0xe/0xf [wlan]
 [<d08cd621>] scan_next+0x1ab/0x489 [wlan]
 [<c010bec2>] __update_rq_clock+0x1a/0xf3
 [<d08cd476>] scan_next+0x0/0x489 [wlan]
 [<c011662a>] run_timer_softirq+0x102/0x176
 [<d083f8be>] usb_hcd_irq+0x21/0x4d [usbcore]
 [<c012bf0f>] note_interrupt+0x116/0x237
 [<c0113909>] __do_softirq+0x35/0x75
 [<c011396b>] do_softirq+0x22/0x26
 [<c0113b2e>] irq_exit+0x25/0x30
 [<c0104c20>] do_IRQ+0x58/0x6b
 [<c0103503>] common_interrupt+0x23/0x30
 [<c010122a>] default_idle+0x0/0x39
 [<c035007b>] setup_IO_APIC+0x8c4/0xe44
 [<c0101251>] default_idle+0x27/0x39
 [<c0100d36>] cpu_idle+0x3c/0x65
 [<c03449b8>] start_kernel+0x23c/0x241
 [<c0344313>] unknown_bootoption+0x0/0x195
Code: c9 37 c0 8b 02 25 00 40 02 00 3d 00 40 02 00 75 03 8b 52 0c 8b 02 25 00 40 02 00 3d 00 40 02 00 75 03 8b 52 0c 8b 02 84 c0 78 04 <0f> 0b eb fe 8b 4a 18 8b 19 8b 03 3b 43 04 72 0b 89 c8 89 da e8 
EIP: [<c0144e20>] kfree+0x47/0x6f SS:ESP 0068:c0343d94
Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt
Rebooting in 30 seconds..

Change History

03/11/08 15:54:29 changed by


atm the 0.9.4 stable works fine with wpa_supplicant and hostapd Vers. 0.5.10 stable. Maybe the problems are gone now. If it works stable till tomorrow I will tell you again. Then you can close the ticket.

So hopefully I can tell you good news tomorrow!



03/12/08 16:32:13 changed by

Ok, the stable version now works fine. please close this ticket!!!



03/13/08 05:37:55 changed by mrenzmann

You did originally report this issue for v0.9.4 (and mentioned that it also exists on v0.9.3.x). Just to be sure: when you refer to "the stable version" above, you talk about v0.9.4?

03/13/08 08:39:40 changed by


yes, I mean the 0.9.4, which now works ok, but I still do not know, why it works now, because I only changed the hostapd/wpa_supplicant versions. But nevermind, it works!!

The older stable versions have still problems with SR2 Cards and setups with hostapd and wpasupp together in a bridge. But as I mentioned, these problems dissapear with the later trunk versions.

So if you want to close this ticket, please do it :)



03/13/08 16:12:46 changed by mrenzmann

  • priority changed from critical to major.
  • status changed from new to closed.
  • resolution set to fixed.
  • milestone set to version 0.9.5.

Roger that, thanks for the feedback. Closing this as fixed, although it's unsure if everything really was caused by bugs in MadWifi.